Caring about your family 24/7

If Family issues are weighing heavily, let us lighten the load...

0151 515 3036 | 07795 060 211

Children's Matters

At Tracey Miller Family Law, our expert child custody* solicitors strive to bring child custody disputes to a swift and amicable decision, by using a friendly yet professional approach.

However, if such disputes cannot be resolved through negotiation, our child custody law experts will be right by your side to advise you on the various applications that can be made through the family law court.

Tracey has been through a divorce herself and has three children. She says: "Even though it is difficult to see through your own distress and pain, try always to put the needs of your children first, as they are also affected by the break-up of the family."

If you need to speak with an experienced child custody solicitor, then why not call us today on 0151 515 3036 or 07795 060 211 for a free no-obligation chat, to discuss your options? Alternatively, you can fill out our ‘Call Back’ form and we’ll call you back at a time that’s more convenient for you.

What you should know about child custody

The term “custody” no longer exists – it was replaced in the Children Act 1989 with the term “Parental Responsibility”. Parental Responsibility means all the rights, duties, powers, responsibilities, and authority which, by law, a parent of a child has, in relation to the child and their property.

A child’s mother automatically has Parental Responsibility for a child. The child’s father will have Parental Responsibility in certain circumstances depending upon the date of birth of the child. Of course, at Tracey Miller Family Law our specialists can advise you upon this.

If you are being prevented from exercising your Parental Responsibility or are seeking to obtain Parental Responsibility then please contact us to discuss your options.

What does the law say?

The Orders that the Family Court can make regarding children have had many different names in the past, including “custody”, “residence” and “contact”. The Court however will now make a “Child Arrangement Order” (CAO).

The types of Order that the Court can make are:

1. With whom the child lives (previously called residence).

2. With whom a child spends time (previously called contact).

3. A prohibited steps order. This prevents a person from taking a specific step in relation to a child, for example preventing them from being permanently removed from the country.

4. Specific issue order. This allows the Court to decide on an issue which relates to the child or children upon which the separating couple cannot reach an agreement, for example choice of school.

Call today for a free and confidential no-obligation chat about your circumstances regarding child custody or any other children’s matters on 0151 515 3036. Alternatively, you can request a call back with us via our online contact form.

For more information, or to speak to one of our expert family law solicitors today, please read our divorce and children FAQ's or contact us.